YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR ACCOUNTING INFORMATION|
The links on this page are Adobe .pdf files, which can be opened by the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you need to download the reader, please click on the button below.
2001 Monthly Comments Archive -
- 1. Comments - January, 2001 - Posted 08/05/2001
- 2. Comments - February, 2001 - Posted 08/05/2001
- 3. Comments - March, 2001 - Posted 08/05/2001
- 4. Comments - April, 2001 - Posted 08/05/2001
- 5. Comments - May, 2001 - Posted 08/05/2001
- 6. Comments - June, 2001 - Posted 08/05/2001
- 7. Comments - July, 2001 - Posted 08/05/2001
- 8. Comments - August, 2001 - Posted 08/06/2001
- 9. Comments - September, 2001 - Posted 08/31/2001
- 10. Comments - October, 2001 - Posted 10/03/2001
- 11. Comments - November, 2001 - Posted 11/01/2001
- 12. Comments - December, 2001 - Posted 12/01/2001
2001 Tax Act - Topics about The Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001
2002 Monthly Comments Archive -
- 1. Comments - January, 2002 - Posted 01/05/2002
- 2. Comments - February, 2002 - Posted 02/03/2002
- 3. Comments - March, 2002 - Posted 03/04/2002
- 4. Comments - April, 2002 - Posted 04/03/2002
- 5. Comments - May, 2002 - Posted 05/04/2002
- 6. Comments - June, 2002 - Posted 06/04/2002
- 7. Comments - July, 2002 - Posted 07/02/2002
- 8. Comments - August, 2002 - Posted 08/05/2002
- 9. Comments - September, 2002 - Posted 08/31/2002
- 10. Comments - October, 2002 - Posted 10/03/2002
- 11. Comments - November, 2002 - Posted 10/31/2002
- 12. Comments - December, 2002 - Posted 12/03/2002
2002 Tax Acts -
2003 Monthly Comments Archive -
- 1. Comments - January, 2003 - Posted 01/04/2003
- 2. Comments - February. 2003 - Posted 01/31/2003
- 3. Comments - March, 2003 - Posted 03/11/2003
- 4. Comments - April, 2003 - Posted 04/01/2003
- 5. Comments - May, 2003 - Posted 05/13/2003
- 6. Comments - June, 2003 - Posted 06/02/2003
- 7. Comments - July, 2003 - Posted 07/16/2003
- 8. Comments - August, 2003 - Posted 08/09/2003
- 9. Comments - September, 2003 - Posted 09/01/2003
- 10. Comments - October, 2003 - Posted 09/28/2003
- 11. Comments - November, 2003 - Posted 11/01/2003
- 12. Comments - December, 2003 - Posted 11/29/2003
2003 Tax Acts -
2004 Monthly Comments Archive -
2004 Tax Acts -
2005 Tax Acts -
2006 Tax Acts -
2007 Tax Acts -
2008 Tax Acts -
2010 Tax Acts -
2013 Tax Acts -
2014 Tax Acts -
2015 Tax Acts -
2016 Tax Acts -
2017 Tax Acts - Tax Changes for 2017
Hot Topics - Accounting issues that effect you, and strategies to help you.
- Insurance Company Demutualizations and Their Tax Consequences - Posted 08/05/2001
Tax consequences of mutual insurance companies converting to stock companies.
- IRA Beneficiaries - Reduced 2001 Distributions - Posted 08/05/2001
New required minimum distribution rules apply beginning in 2001.
- Revised RMD Rules for Qualified Plans and IRAs - Posted 08/05/2001
Summary of IRS revisions to required minimum distribution rules for IRAs and qualified retirement plans.
- Tax Changes for Tax Year 2001 - Posted 08/05/2001
Summary of prior year tax law changes effective in 2001.
- New IRS Technique Guide Pinpoints Problems to Avoid When Making Shareholder Loans - Posted 08/31/2001
An overview of facts an IRS agent reviews to determine if an advance to a corporate shareholder is a loan or possibly a taxable distribution
- The Different Types of IRAs Available Today - Posted 10/03/2001
A summary of the IRAs available and the requirements to participate in each.
- How Long Should Clients Retain Tax Records? - Posted 11/01/2001
Recommendations of leangth of time to retain tax records.
- How to Allocate Basis of Commercial Real Estate to Achieve Maximum Depreciation Deduction - Posted 02/05/2002
A review of how to allocate cost of construction or acquisition to achieve best tax results.
- Coverdell Education Savings Accounts - Posted 07/02/2002
A summary of the changes to the old Education IRAs.
- Deduction for Student Loan Interest - Posted 07/02/2002
Summary of the requirements for deductibility of interest on college loans.
- HOPE and Lifetime Learning Credit for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses of Higher Education - Posted 07/02/2002
Use of the HOPE credit or Lifetime Learning credit for education costs for yourself, your spouse or your dependents.
- Qualified Tuition Programs - "529 Plans" - Posted 07/02/2002
An brief review of "529 plans".
- Tax Planning for College - Posted 07/02/2002
A summary of tax benefits available help minimize education costs.
- Advantages/ Disadvantages of Using Standard Mileage Allowance Rate for Business Auto in 2003 - Posted 10/03/2002
Discussion of the alternative to using actual automobile expenses for business use of automobile and when it may be beneficial to use the standard mileage allowance.
- Importance of Year-End Tax Planning - Posted 12/03/2002
A checklist of year-end tax moves.
- Archer Medical Savings Accounts for 2003 - Posted 01/06/2003
A broad overview of how Archer MSAs work along with an outline of the qualification requirements.
- Tax Aspects of Refinancing A Home Mortgage - Posted 01/31/2003
Basic information about tax consequences of refinancing a home mortgage.
- What's New for 2003 - A Roundup of Non-Inflation-Indexing Tax Changes Effective This Year - Posted 04/01/2003
Summary of non-indexing tax law changes effective in 2003.
- Bigger Depreciation/ Expensing Deductions for Autos, Trucks, SUVs and Vans Bought or Leased in 2003 - Posted 11/01/2003
Review of the rules for 2003 deductions for autos, vans and trucks including SUVs.
- Typical Questions About Inflation Adjustments to 2004 Figures - Posted 11/01/2003
Typical questions about 2004 inflation adjustments to tax brackets and other items.
- Year-End Planning for Capital Gains and Losses - Posted 11/29/2003
An illustration of the unique planning opportunities due the the reduced capital gain tax rate.
- What's New on Form 1040 for 2003 - Posted 01/02/2004
Highlight of key changes to the Form 1040 for 2003.
- How to Make the Best Tax Use of a Vacation Home - Posted 07/13/2004
Summary of the tax rules relating to leasing a vacation home.
- Compensatory Stock Options - Posted 08/14/2004
Advantages and disadvantages of ISOs and nonqualified stock options.
- How Rising Interest Rates Affect various Tax and Estate Planning Strategies - Posted 09/25/2004
Summary of favorable an unfavorable effects of rising interest rates on estate and income tax valuations.
- Last Chance to Use Bonus First-Year Depreciation in Year-End Tax Planning - Posted 09/25/2004
Planning for the expiration of the bonus depreciation deduction.
- How the Tax Law Helps Victims of Disaster Losses - Posted 10/26/2004
An explaination of the extra relief provisions available to those located in Presidentially declared disaster areas.
- 2004 Year-End Tax Planning Alert - Posted 11/19/2004
Summary of actions which can be taken before December 31, 2004.
- Interest Collected on Past-Due Child Support is Taxable to Recipient Spouse - Posted 11/26/2004
A summary of the IRS position on interest paid on late child support.
- Most Retirement Plan Limits Increase for 2005 - Posted 11/26/2004
Summary of changes to retirement plan limitations as result of COLAs or statute.
- Standard Mileage Rate Increases by 3 cents for 2005 - Posted 11/26/2004
IRS announced increase and related rules for standard mileage allowance.
- What's New on Form 1040 for 2004 - Posted 11/26/2004
Review of key changes made to the 2004 Form 1040 and schedules.
- Cafeteria Plan - Posted 06/05/2005
By regulation, the IRS is allowing plans to be amended to allow a grace period to use prior year contributions.
- Complying with Federal Payroll Recordkeeping Requirements - Posted 06/05/2005
Summary of payroll recordkeeping requirements.
- Final Regulations Facilitate S Corporation Elections - Posted 06/05/2005
Changes in requirements for non corporate entities electing S corporation status.
- IRS Issues 2005 Depreciation Dollar Limits for Business Autos, Light Trucks and Vans - Posted 06/05/2005
Summary of dollar deductions for vehicles placed in servive during 2005.
- IRS Rules on Taxation of Stock Options Transferred Pursuant to Divorce - Posted 06/05/2005
IRS responds to court ruling allowing transfer of options to spouse in divorce.
- Pointers on New Form 941 - Posted 06/05/2005
Summary of Form 941 changes.
- Proposals Would Tax Partnership Interests Transferred for Services Under Restricted Property Rules - Posted 06/05/2005
Proposed regulations would treat transfers of partneership interests for services same as stock transfers.
- Treasury Recommends Tougher Santions Against Late-Filing Pass-Through Entities - Posted 06/05/2005
Recomendations for increased penalties against late-filing partnerships and S corporations.
- What Are Your Chances for Being Audited? - Posted 06/05/2005
Review of IRS 2004 activities.
- Recap of Business Tax Law Changes Going into Effect in 2005 - Posted 06/27/2005
Summary of tax changes effective january 1, 2005.
- How the Tax Law Helps Victims of Hurricane Katrina - Posted 09/03/2005
Summary of key tax provisions available to those in Presidentially declared disaster areas.
- 2005 Year-End Tax Planning for Individuals - Posted 11/05/2005
Summary of 2005 year-end potential tax savings opportunities.
- Many Tax Law Changes Effecting Individual Taxpayers go into Effect in 2006 - Posted 02/14/2006
An overview of non-indexing changes for individuals for 2066.
- Important Federal Payroll Tax Figures for 2006 - Posted 01/22/2007
A summary of the more important payroll tax figures, effective January 1, 2006.
- Most Retirement Plan Limits Increase for 2007 - Posted 10/27/2007
Summary of cost-of-living changes to retirement plans.
- Year-End Planning Moves That Optimize Election to Expense Business Property - Posted 01/05/2008
Year-end planning opportunities for a calendar-year business that is eligible for a Code Sec. 179 expensing election
- Most Retirement Plan Limits Increase for 2008 - Posted 10/29/2008
The 2008 cost-of-living adjustments for retirement plans.
- Tax Bracket and Other Key 2008 Items - Posted 10/31/2008
Summary of the 2008 inflation adjusted items from the IRS.
- Strategies for Surviving Spouses Designated as Beneficiaries of Decedent's IRAs - Posted 11/14/2008
Summary of options to surviving spouses for inherited IRAs.
- Tax Bracket and Other Key 2009 Items - Posted 08/25/2009
Summary of indexed income tax items for 2009 tax returns.
- Tax Savings Moves for the Remeinder of 2008 - Posted 08/25/2009
Some year-end steps which may be applicable for 2008.
- Most Retirement Plan Dollar Limits Increase for 2009 - Posted 01/14/2010
The 2009 cost-of-living adjustments for retirement plans.
- Getting Ready for Next Year's Liberalized IRA-To-Roth Conversion Rules - Posted 01/13/2011
A look at IRA-to-Roth conversion rules for 2010.
- Hitting the Restart Button on RMD'S in 2010 - Posted 01/13/2011
How taxpayers and their beneficiaries are affected bt the restart of required minimum distributions from retirement plans.
- Tax Aspects of Telecommuting - What Employees and Employers Need to Know - Posted 01/13/2011
A review of tax issues for employees who work off-site from their homes.
- How is an IRA paid out if the beneficiary dies? - Posted 10/23/2011
- Many Tax Changes for Individuals and Retirement Plans go into Effect in 2011 - Posted 10/31/2011
Summary of individual and retirement plan changes for 2011.
- Tax Strategies for IRA Owners Affected by the Precipitous Stock Market Decline - Posted 10/31/2011
Summary of options for IRS owners who have converted to Roth IRAs in 2008.
- New Hire Reporting Program - Posted 11/30/2012
Requirements for reporting newly hired employees.
- Making the Most of Quick Writeoffs for Capital Goods Purchases - Part I - Posted 01/07/2013
Making the most of quick writeoffs for capital goods purchases - Part I.
- Making the Most of Quick Writeoffs for Capital Goods Purchases - Part II - Posted 01/07/2013
Making the most of quick writeoffs for capital goods purchases - Part II
- Making the Most of Quick Writeoffs for Capital Goods Purchases - Part III - Posted 01/07/2013
Making the most of quick writeoffs for capital goods purchases - Part III
- Many Changes for Businesses and Investors go into Effect in 2011 - Posted 01/07/2013
SUmmmary of tax changes effective January 1, 2011, affecting businesses and investors.
- Most Retirement Plan Dollar Limits arfe Changed for 2012 - Posted 01/07/2013
2012 cost-of-living adjustments for retirement plans.
- 2Q/2013 Developments Which May Affect a Tax Situation - Posted 04/15/2014
Summary of 2Q/2013 developments which may affect taxes.
- What are your chances of being audited? - Posted 10/14/2014
Summary based on fiscal year ending 09/30/2013.
- Draft Form 1040 Reflects New Health Coverage Rules and Other Changes - Posted 11/15/2014
Summary of changes to Form 1040 and related schedules for 2014.
- What's New on Form 1040 For Tax Year 2014 - Posted 01/24/2015
Summary of 2014 changes to Form 1040.
- 2014 Year-End Tax Planning - Posted 06/09/2015
Year-end tax planning is especially challenging this year because Congress has yet to act on a host of tax breaks which expired at the end of 2013.
- Many Retirement Plan Dollar Limits are Changed for 2015 - Posted 06/09/2015
Retirement plan cost of living (COLA) adjustments for 2015.
- Payment of Health Insurance Premiums on Behalf of Self-Employed Persons - Posted 06/09/2015
A summary of health insurance reporting and deductibility for owners of pass-through entities.
- Sorting out the Timing Rules for Traditional and Roth IRAs - Posted 06/09/2015
This article sets out timing rules for IRA contributions and rollovers.
- Strategies for a Surviving Spouse Designated as Beneficiary of a Decedent's IRAs - Posted 06/09/2015
Options for a sole beneficiary surviving spouse to use with inherited IRAs.
- How Year-End Purchases of Business Assets Can Save Taxes - Posted 09/30/2015
Summary of depreciation options without bonus depreciation.
- How Increased Withholding May Eliminate Tax Penalty for Some Taxpayers - Posted 11/17/2015
Planning for eliminating tax underpayment penalties
- Documentation is the Key to Charity Deduction - Posted 01/16/2016
A summary of the rules to assure charitable deductions provide the expected tax benefit.
- Penalties Increased For Not Filing Forms 1099 - Posted 01/16/2016
Congress has increased the penalties for failure to file, or late filing of, Forms 1099, effective January 1, 2016.
- When C Corporations Should Defer or Accelerate income - Posted 01/16/2016
Corporate planning to maximize use of lower tax brackets.
- DIstrict Court Ordered to Rethink Its Decision Not to Order Sale of Taxpayer's Home - Posted 05/26/2017
It's possible to lose your home for unpaid tax even if you do not own a 100% interest.
- Tax Breaks for Grandparents Raising Their Grandchildren - Posted 06/16/2017
Summary of current tax breaks for those unexpectedly raising others children.
- How the Law helps Victims of Disasters - Part I - Posted 01/08/2018
Summary of tax law benefits for disaster victims.
- How the Law Helps Victims of Disasters, Part II - Posted 01/08/2018
Summary of tax benefits available for victims of disasters, part II.
- Overview of Tax-Saving Moves for the Rest of 2017 - Posted 01/08/2018
Summary of optional actions to save taxes for 2017.